Friday, July 16, 2010

Maryland Earthquake - Signs of the Times or Just Some Excitement?

"The U.S. Geological Survey points out that although most earthquakes seem to be a “West Coast” thing, or something that happens in far away and foreign countries, that we here in the East Coast have a number of fault lines right here at home. An earthquake in Maryland, or anywhere up the whole North East Corridor is not only likely, it’s overdue. Our area historically, has an earthquake cycle of 300-400 years, and the last really big quake to hit here was… let me see here…. ah – the last big shake was 300-400 years ago".
http://blogosaurusstampede.com/earthquake-in-maryland/

I am happy the earthquake in Maryland was not an earthquake with a higher magnitude than 3.6. I got caught in a small earthquake myself about a decade ago in the Caribbean. It was the middle of the afternoon. I had just returned from my lunch break. I was seated at my desk and the building began shaking so forcefully. I had lost my footing and had stretched out my legs in front of me instead of keeping them on the floor. I grabbed on to the corners of my desk just to have something to hold on to, but that was not enough, the force of the thing wanted to pull my chair right out from under me. The noise during the earthquake was unbearable and the movements of items in the room made me think I was in a room that was possessed by some evil spirit. When all was calm again I knew one thing I did not want to have to experience anything like that again ever. When I could stand again, my knees buckled beneath me for more than an hour.

When the author states and I quote:

"An earthquake in Maryland, or anywhere up the whole North East Corridor is not only likely, it’s overdue".

This statement reminds me of statements made by some colleagues. When they felt bored with the monotony of their everyday lives on the job they asked for hurricanes in order to change the mood and feel some excitement.

When the earthquake I experienced occurred, it was more than my colleagues bargained for and just like the Maryland earthquake it was mild, there weren't any injuries, or damages to report. Yes it is a sign of the end times according to the author and the Bible, however; I got a taste of what earthquakes are about and I sure do not want to have anymore of such excitement. As far as I'm concerned, three hundred, or four hundred years can pass before another one is felt around here.

No comments:

Post a Comment